Thursday, March 3, 2011

Following the stories

Okay so it's time for me to jump into the blog world and start getting all the stories down. Somehow the title of this blog, Reliving the Cayo Hueso I Never Knew, seemed to fit my mission. I've long wanted to get the stories Pa and Grandma share down before it's too late and many of those stories are of a place I hold dear in a time I never knew.

Today was more talk of "runnning numbers" or Bollito as my cousin called it. Pa has developed an obsession almost with who owes who money and how much. For the longest time, I couldnt put it together. It seems that Pa and his friends used to run numbers from the Cuban lottery in the paper and make bets on them. So, today, he owed someone $4.

We moved from there to if the groceries, laundry, and bills were paid. His standard friday questions came a day early this week. And, yes, I have plenty of gas money.

I have to admit for as tough as dementia is on me and my family, Pa seems to be in a good reality for him. He works in his dad's shop some days and others is off to play dominoes at the fire station before going home to grandma. Yet, I'm still his Andrea-Maria today and that is all that really matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment