Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Dominoes

Dominoes are black and white, not rainbow colored. I learned to count by playing Dominoes. Monday, Pa and I played Dominoes and every time I say or write that word I hear it as three distinct sounds just the way Pa pronounces it (Dah-me-noes). In spite of the fog of dementia that was present since it was dinner time, Pa is still the best Dominoes player I know. We split the games 3wins for him, 2 for me.

On of my favorite stories about Pa's life in Key West revolves around Dominoes. Pa was a mailman in Cayo Hueso for 33 years, serving much of the island from the old post office. At the end of every day and every route, he ended near the old fire station near St. Mary's Church. It was here he would stop and play Dominoes and have coffee with the firemen. At some point in this story, Grandma always says this is why she never worried if he was late getting home (and bringing their mail home), he was busy playing Dominoes of course. The games were intense and very serious business.

No comments:

Post a Comment