Friday, January 20, 2012

Grunts and Grits and other food

Watching Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives episode about grouper sandwiches. Pa loved grouper sandwiches, blackened. There is nothing like group sandwiches except maybe Abuela's ham croquettes. But grouper sandwiches led me to think about Grits & Grunts, possibly Pa's all time favorite and something that both Grandma and I would cringe when thinking about it. According to Grandma, grunts have lots of bones and arent much to eat but then again she never much liked fish. From what I know about Grits & Grunts, you make a batch of grits and put chunks of grunts it in. I'll leave that one alone though.

Back to those ham croquettes. Abuela used to make THE BEST ham croquettes ever. That is probably one of my earliest memories of our family in Tampa. We would go visit abuela and abuelo and eat ham croquettes, man were they good. We recently found a new Cuban restaurant nearby in Towson, MD. The owner is from Cuba, having come to the US as a child. I just had to order the croquettes and was immediately transported back to visiting abuela and abuelo and eating warm, little bit crunchy, and ohh so tasty ham croquettes. I could almost hear the voices and feel their love in these ham croquettes in a tiny joint in maryland and it was goooood.

No comments:

Post a Comment